This summer has been scorching hot. If you find yourself too busy to head down to the beach, try baking some beachy summertime themed sugar cookies instead! Tip: If you have different shaped cookie cutters, be sure to use them and incorporate them into your summery treats.
Ingredients (For Cookies):
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Cookie cutters (optional)
Ingredients (For Icing):
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp meringue powder
- 3 tbsp water
- Assorted food colours
Directions For Sugar Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- With either an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix for two minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the sides and add your egg and vanilla. Finally, add the flour and baking powder.
- Keep mixing until all ingredients are well mixed into the dough. The dough may have a dry appearance but still continue to mix. You may add water if you find it becoming too dry in texture. The texture should be that of Play-Doh.
- Roll out sugar cookie dough to 1/4″ (0.6 cm) onto a lightly floured surface or cooking board. If using cookie cutters, begin to cut out the desired shapes of your dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until cookies turn golden brown.
Directions For Icing: (Credit: Good Housekeeping)
- In a bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water until blended. Scrape side of bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium―beat until soft peaks form, about 10 minutes. Icing should be stiff enough to hold its shape when piped. Thin with more water, if needed.
- Tint icing with food colouring as desired―keep surface covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
Making Your Summertime Themed Sugar Cookies:
Once your cookies are done baking, sprinkle a bit of sugar on them if desired. Then using your icing, you can let your creativity run wild and create anything you wish. This can include a beach, flip-flops, sunglasses, pineapples―literally anything you can think of!
Enjoy! Be sure to stay cool out there in this heat. XOXO
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA